Monday, March 1, 2010

Looking back on the 2010 Olympics...

Hi, folks. Some of you are familiar with Drew and myself from over at Ace Of Spades HQ.

For the rest, we're glad you're here, and welcome you to our cozy little chats. Obviously, we'rave e here to talk hockey... we're still making up our minds on content, but we hope that we can bring some new fans to the game while entertaining the lifers as well.

Anyway, as some of you may have noticed, a rather entertaining tournament just wrapped up yesterday in the best way possible- an overtime goal, and no ridiculous Olympic shootout.

Let me qualify that- given that most of my experience comes from working in the minor leagues, I have no problem with the shootout- in the regular season. I can appreciate that the Olympics need to wrap up by a certain time due to programming considerations, but the notion of a championship being wrapped up in a shootout makes my teeth itch. I'm also not a big fan of four-on-four for championship overtime- just play the damn game.

Anyway, some questions going forward:

1) If you're Canada, do you go forward saying Roberto Luongo is your goalie of the future?
2) If you're the US, what do you change? Frankly, do you change anything?
3) If you're Bettman, are you really going to shoot the sport in the crotch by saying the NHL won't be in Sochi?

You'll find that I throw a lot of questions out there for discussion- after all, this is supposed to be interactive. One of the things we'll try to do down the road is have a wrap-up of the Olympic teams individually... should make for some good discussions.

For the moment- I'm just grateful that the tournament was filled with as much good hockey as it was. I think the pinnacle of things in recent memory was the '96 World Cup, but mine is not the most objective opinion there. Give me a few days to get the bitter taste out of my mouth from losing and we'll go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment